A woman in her forties opens her closet, takes out her favorite dress and for the first time in her life she wonders whether it’s appropriate for her age.
It doesn’t even matter what she’ll decide about the dress. What really depresses her is the fact she has been wondering about it.
Sure, she is not old right now. However, it’s the right time to acknowledge some aspects related to a new stage in her life. The stage which is wise, elegant and no less beautiful than the previous one was.
The first advice I’d like to give to a woman in her forties is to never cling to the image that worked pretty well when she was 30. Youth moves to a country where your childhood lives – to a beautiful place you have no access any more.
Everything changes – time, fashion and, of course, a woman. She may assert her right to look like she used to, but it might mean that a woman in her fifties refuses to accept changes and keeps on looking back.
Look at the photos. Same woman, but there is a difference between the snapshots:
Source photos via Pinterest, post-processing by Holy Chic
So let’s talk about a wardrobe of a 50-60 year-old woman, because the proper clothes, flawless makeup and a good haircut can rejuvenate a woman of mature age much better than most difficult plastic surgery can.
Do’s Ideas for a Woman in her 40-50ies
Bear in mind, epatage and affectation has nothing to do with you anymore. You’ve left behind nearly a half of your life, your ups and downs, bitter disappointments and joys of victory. Let the youngsters shock audience: you do not need to prove anything to anyone.
- Even if you like bright colors, when you are about 50, tone them down a little. You should consider chalk tones for your attire.
- Replace platforms and stiletto heels into classic pumps and flats. Going for a good walk, opt for a pair of comfortable moccasins.
If you can’t imagine your wardrobe without pieces in red color, buy a red bag.
- When you are in your fifties you do know which colors are truly yours and which colors compliment your eyes. Opt for their lighter shades and stick to them.
I’ve heard thousand times statements of women in their forties and fifties that pastels is not their cup of tea, but every time I argued pastel colors look elegant and succeeded in persuading a client to try on a dress in pastel shade, she got personally certain pastels compliment her skin and appearance.
Here is an approximate sets of clothes in pastel colors for women in their fifties:
- Wear whites whenever you can:
- Talking about basic wardrobe, consider my article “Basic Women’s Wardrobe: Top Ten“. There you’ll find things that look good on every woman regardless of her age.
- Buy neckerchiefs and scarves as they enliven sole-colored blouses and polo-neck shirts. By the way, neckerchiefs will hide wrinkles you probably have on your neck.
If you are in your fifties, avoid:
- Mini-skirts, low dresses, cropped tops and wife-beaters. From now on your inner beauty is the key.
- If you have been wearing high boots, you’d better throw them away.
Many women in their fifties say they feel uncomfortable in sundresses and sleeveless dresses. If you can say the same, pick long-sleeved dresses or, if it is summer, three-quarter sleeved ones.
- Avoid acid colors and clothing with large bright prints.
- Never wear skinny jeans and leggings. It’a must-not:)
- Never mix four or more colors in the frames of one outfit. Usually three is enough, but sometimes you could mix three to look elegant.
- Women of elegant age should not wear pearls with with earrings: first, it’s an old and common cliche, secondly – it’ll make you look like an aged woman.
- Never wear in black from top to toe. This color will not only make you look thinner, but older. Even if your favorite suit is black, put on a light-colored shirt beneath.
If you wear a little black dress, enliven your look in the way these beautiful women do:
Your best coat is black and you are not about to get rid of it? Ok! Only wrap a bright or light-toned scarf over your neck.
Beautiful maturity is not a myth. To make sure that I am right, consider french women. Strange enough but true: a young french woman is not “French” in the proper sense of the word. Speaking about Frenchwomen they usually mean women from forty to seventy years old who behave (and, of course, dress up) with elegance. Frenchwomen never chase after fashion, but they all share a knowledge what a true style and charm are. A Frenchwomen is a cat-like, wise and confident figure, and it makes her extremely attractive, sexy and feminine. She is at peace with herself at any age – at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and so on.
That’s what I wish to you.
Look cool & holy chicTanya Pochtiennykh
You may also like: Makeup Tips for Women of Elegant Age